Sunday, August 11, 2013

Pushing Your Boundaries: Why I Run Tough Mudder.

A FaceBook friends post last night reminded me why I run Tough Mudder. It was a simple post and right to the point. All that it said was, "Going to bed early. Hope I can sleep. Tomorrow is Tough Mudder New England 2013!!!!".  It's that excitement that makes it all worth it.


People wonder why someone would get so excited about running a long distance with the only breaks being a bunch of horrendous obstacles deigned to destroy you and your spirit. I spent a good portion of the morning going over that question and the only answer that I could come up with was, "Because I can".
Describing itself as "Ironman meets Burning Man," Tough Mudder is a 10-12 mile obstacle course designed by British Special Forces that tests participants' "strength, stamina, mental grit, and camaraderie." - Sarah Flanagan Huffington Post
Last year I had to opportunity to run Tough Mudder SC and Tough Mudder UK Midlands. This year I have added a Ninja Warrior Conditioning class (strength training), Kickboxing and Yoga to my already existing running and martial arts training. I can't wait to see the results in this years Tough Mudder North Carolina and Tough Mudder Berlin!

Although this post my seem like glorified self-promotion, it's true message is this. I never thought that an event like Tough Mudder  would be something that I would enjoy. Honestly, I never thought that I could do it but with hard work and setting small achievable goals I successfully ran my first event. Now I am running Tough Mudder and I think you can to!
Google+