Thursday, September 12, 2013

DIY Coffee Concentrate for your Low-Carb Protein Powder Drink


Earlier this month I posted a review of Trader Joe's Vanilla Flavored Soy Protein Powder for all of us who follow a Low Carb Lifestyle. In part two I want to share with you how I enhanced my protein drinks with coffee concentrate.



I tend to get up really early in the morning and go to bed at a normal time. Let's say 4:00 am and 10:00 pm on the average. This doesn't leave enough time for my nightly digestive process to kick into full steam. Honestly, when I get up I don't feel all that hungry. So I tend to wait until 7:00 am to eat something  Even though it sounds a Hobbit Meal Schedule eating small meals though out the day has help me keep energy high, hunger low, digestive process in check, aids in  weight loss and helps build muscles. 

The problem was that just having coffee in the early morning didn't give me the energy needed till snack time.  It also didn't curb my hunger. I figured that adding protein drinks to my early morning coffee time would give me more energy to burn once the caffeine was gone and at the same time help me fill me up. The next issue was how to prepare it.

I could brew some coffee, mix it with my protein powder and go from there but that didn't work with my ready to go mindset. As I mentioned in my previous blog I created a simple process that made sure I always had a drink ready to go. So I really needed to figure out an easy way for adding coffee to the process. After some searching I came across this awesome post that had a DIY recipe for coffee concentrate and it was perfect!

After fumbling around with my containers I quickly came to the conclusion that I needed a way a hassle free way of measure the amount of concentrated coffee that I needed to add to my drink mix. Then it hit me! I was using "manly" oil funnels to fill my bottles so what about those fuel additive bottles that I see at the auto-parts store? The ones that with a squeeze measures the exact amount you need. That would be so cool! I started to hunt and soon found out that not only could I get the bottles but other people had the same idea!  I decided to order a Bettix Twin Neck Measure & Pour Dispensing Bottle from Freund Container supply. The bottle was cheap but shipping was quite a bit. I figured it was for research and that made it ok. 

So in the end I have  the ultimate station for creating my own energy charged protein powder drinks to get me pumping in the early morning. With one squeeze I can add the exact amount of caffeine needed. Life is good!

Google+