Thursday, June 20, 2013

Time For A Walk!

Yesterday's warrior conditioning class left me with blisters on the bottom of my feet. In hindsight I needed better foot position on those plank jacks. So today I decided to take a motivational walk instead of my normal run. Some sort of office exercise is important because it helps me shake off morning stress and stay limber.

The good news is that today's NC weather is beautiful. I am burning calories, I am changing my mental state, and most importantly I am happy. Can't ask for much more.

On a side note,  have you ever came to the realization of something and then ask yourself why didn't I think of that before? The other day a Tumblr quote from Richard Carlson ,the author of "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff", was in a thread I was reading. All that is said was, "will this matter a year from now". Don't get me wrong, I've heard it before. I just hadn't really thought about it. Anyways, its had been a rough week for me. Work stuff, school stuff, tests and lots of exercise left me a bit frazzled. Add to that a few other bumps in the road and I was about ready to crawl under my desk, curl up in a ball and chant "mommy". Ok, maybe not but that's is when the value of that statement hit me. Is it really going to matter in a year? Of course the answer was "no" but what did matter is that I continued doing what I needed to do and ignored all the other crap. Why? Well, because achieving your goals is important and is what matters. It's a whole "forest through the trees" and "stiff upper lip" kinda thing. (insert smug Jimmy D face)

So when life gives you those lemons I suggest doing three things. First, ask yourself is this really going to matter a year from now? This puts your current issue in perspective. Second, go for a walk or run. This will clear your mind and change your state. Third, you knew it was coming, make lemonade! This will quench your thirst.
Google+